Ping Monitor

Developer
Mar 23, 2009 at 7:35 PM
I setup a few ping monitors and when I close the dashboard and bring it back up the ping monitor always has a value of -1.00. I need it to start at 0. In order to set the status to => 0 I have to go into the properties of the monitor and click ok then the monitor will start working properly. Have I got something setup wrong? I'm using the default settings.

-= Irv =-
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2009 at 12:38 PM
A -1 value indicates that the monitor does not have any valid value currently. When you open up a previously saved dashboard, none of the monitors have run yet and hence should not have any valid values. When you start running the monitors then these values will change (unless there was an error retrieving data in which case the value will remain at -1).
So, after loading up a previously saved dashboard, simply start the monitors and the correct values will show up.
I am curious why you want the "undefined" value to be zero instead of -1. If I can understand that there may be a different approach I could take in the code.
Developer
Mar 24, 2009 at 3:09 PM
Hi,
Thank you for the reply. First off let me tell you that this is a killer app and I appreciate you making it available. Keep up the good work.

I'll try to better explain what I'm doing and the results I'm having and see if they make better since.
I created a Ping monitor using the default settings and the "Status Light (Single)" gauge. I started the monitor and the gauge turned green as expected. I then saved the dashboard. Now, without turning off the ping monitor I closed the dashboard then reopened it. When it opened, the ping monitor gauge is already in the Start mode, there is a -1.00 in the bottom left window of the gauge and the gauge is black. When I click on Monitor Options button and look at the Monitor Stats at the bottom of that menu the "Elapsed" and the "# Samples" have values that are changing but the Min, Max and Avg readings are all -1.00.
From here the first thing I do to try and start the gauge is to toggle the Start/Stop button at the top left of the monitor but nothing happens, gauge is still black and reading
-1.00, then I click on the Monitor Options, select Properties and click Ok. The gauge then turns green and starts working.
So far this is the only monitor that does not start automatically when I reopen the dashboard. Do I have something setup wrong?
Developer
Mar 27, 2009 at 1:00 PM
fbaptiste,
Were you able to duplicate this issue? I'm thinking this may be a problem with the way I have it setup.

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:28 AM
I was indeed able to duplicate the problem. This is definitely a bug in PolyMonRT and I will create an Issue Tracker item for this.
Thanks for finding this and my apologies.
Thx,
Fred.
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.